Sunday, June 10, 2007

Our "little" piece of Heaven








Now my friend Tracey, would laugh out loud when I say we have a "little" backyard, since she lives in Manhattan and can't even have a window box for plants. But, our backyard IS a wee bit small. Last year, we laid out the flower bed (err, I mean Greg laid out the flowerbed) and planted fotinas, which are an evergreen shrub. We hope they will give us some privacy since our neighbors are so close! This year, we experimented with flowers...and when I say experiment, I mean we didn't have any plan--we just stuck them in the ground, watered and fed them and whah-lah, flowers! Now, to a trained gardener, I am CERTAIN these beds look bad; But they have given me and Greg great pleasure during this "Season of Wait."

Every evening, you will find us outside, watering and inspecting each area to see which new flowers have blossomed...there is something so beautiful and miraculous that happens when you behold God grow things. Most of our little flowers started out as seedlings; and bit by bit, we have kept faithful watch as they have grown into the fullness and grace of their purpose. The joy and fulfillment Greg and I share while observing God work His power in those little plants makes me think of the angels in Heaven--and the sheer awe they must experience while seeing God's created children reach their fullness. How truly amazing...

We have been so greatly blessed by this little yard; and I thank the Lord for gifting us with a tiny sampling of His mysterious beauty. We look forward, with great anticipation, for Madalyn to take part in our plantings next Spring. Seeing the wonder in her eyes while marveling at God's mystery will be utterly priceless.

8 comments:

Beth Goff said...

WOW! It is really beautiful! I am so proud of yall!!

jajbs said...

I can't wait to see the pictures of Madalyn planting!

Amanda

Jami said...

That is beautiful! We love lanscaping too but there are so many bunnies that are eating some of my flowers to the ground! AHHHHH!! I need to try seeds!

Good job!! :)

Natalie said...

Your yard looks so peaceful and beautiful!

Kristin, I think we have similar taste. This is the first time I have ever seen someone use the same blog layout as me! And...our baby's room is in browns, aquas and pinks. I'm LOVIN' those tissue flowers/balls hanging from the ceiling! Do you wanna come help me with our room?!

Rory and Cindy said...

The yard looks great, I'm so impressed!!!

Deborah said...

I am impressed. Other than my family and the two cats, everything living in my house dies! It doesn't surprise me one bit that you guys are good at this. Madalyn's flawless brown skin, huge grin, and giant white bow will look so precious up next to those bright pink flowers! I can just picture it already.

Tracey Clem said...

"LITTLE" backyard, indeed!!

I won't even comment about your "little" backyard being bigger then my entire apartment! :)

The flowers and shrubs look fantastic! A riot of color...exactly how you want it to look, and to heck with any so-called "professionals" who might think otherwise!

So excited for you guys and the success of your backyard project! Someday, when I have a backyard, you'll be the pro and can come help me!! :)

Love you, sweetest friend!

Welcome! said...

Kristin,

The backyard looks beautiful! I agree that there is something very therapuetic about gardening. It is something that I love! Although ... I only have a small patio, largely taken up by Jeremy's huge grill and smoker, it leaves me with only a few potted plants to work with! However, those few plants bring me great joy! My dream is to have a rose garden someday! Keep tending to those little plants and allowing God to use them to bring you joy! Madalyn will come home before you know it! Love you so much!