Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Never-Failing God

Sweet hubby's asleep...sweet baby's asleep...even sweet puppy is snoozing...

Nice, quiet house...just the tapping sound of my nails on the keyboard...and the occasional hum of the A/C unit... I have just finished Day 3 of my FIRST summer break as a teacher...and it's been WONDERFUL! Nothing exceptional, but wonderful nonetheless.

I started thinking about what I was doing this time last year: I was certain Madalyn was coming home and that we were going to get the "out" call from PGN at any moment...(little did I know we would receive a previo 6/8). I was living life literally hour-by-hour. Not any different than any other living, I guess. I mean time doesn't change. But, the "shoulder-tensing" expectation of a phone call that I knew would make our faith become sight was almost overwhelming. Looking back, I guess some could call it stress; I am sure my body was reacting to it as that; but, in reality I think it was my pride of self colliding with the Holiness and Glory of the Never-Failing God.

Many of you may remember that Oswald Chambers counseled me the last months before bringing Madalyn home through his amazing words in "My Utmost for His Highest." It never failed to be exactly what I needed to hear/see/ponder/wonder every single day. Amazingly enough, the same holds true in the present as I read today's entry, "The Never-Failing God."

"For He has said, I will never leave you nor forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

As I am sitting on the couch tonight with Greg and Madalyn watching "Max and Ruby" on Noggin (I am an oldest child--I WAS Ruby...OCD and all...I think it's the funniest show, so I made Greg watch it tonight), I couldn't help but think about how ordinary the day had been. Not bad at all, in fact, it was very nice...(any day shopping at Target with my mom, sis and Madalyn AND a Diet Coke is a good day)...but, I guess I became aware that the "shoulder-tension" moments I had grown accustomed to had passed for a time. Which I guess for some can be a disappointment...or in my case, it left me feeling a bit lost.

Then, I picked up Mr. Oswald...great, wonderful Mr. Oswald...and I could have not read any words more perfectly penned:

" 'Neither will I in any wise forsake thee.' Sometimes it is not difficulty that makes me think God will forsake me, but drudgery. There is no Hill Difficulty to climb, no vision given, nothing wonderful or beautiful, just the commonplace day in and day out--can I hear God's say-so in these things? We have the idea that God is going to do some exceptional thing, that He is preparing and fitting us for some extraordinary thing by and by, but as we go on in grace we find that God is glorifying Himself here and now, in the present minute. If we have God's say-so behind us, the most amazing strength comes, and we learn to sing in the ordinary days and ways."

My Sweet, Almighty Father. I thank you for your steadfast love, peace and hope. Thank you for opening my eyes to see you more clearly...I have missed you so. Please grant me quiet moments to commune in your holiness...and bask in your joy. You are the Only Hope. Thank you for today. I pray for you to encourage those who are not climbing Hill Difficulty...and please grant your supreme strength those who are. I love you so much, sweet Lord. Thank you for never losing hope in me. My heart longs for you. In Jesus' name. Amen

5 comments:

JuJu - said...

wow -
I love how God can use us to spur each other on:) I needed that this morning:)

Love to you :)

Tracey Clem said...

Sister,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am missing the Lord...my own fault. And I am definitely feeling like I'm on a treadmill each day...a rather boring treadmill, at that. I am certainly not looking for him in my every day routine, and should be.

Thank you for sharing your word from God with others of us who need to hear it, but may be like me, and just not listening very hard for it.

Love you, dearest friend!

jajbs said...

Thanks! JUST WHAT I NEEDED!!! YOu put into words how I have been feeling! Thanks for sharing your heart.

Oh, BTW, we met a year ago last week!! I miss ya and need to talk... call me tonight??? I am thinking of coming up there in July!!

love ya bunches!
amanda

Welcome! said...

Oh, how I miss you Kristin! God always works through you to speak such peace and comfort to me through the Holy Spirit. I have not been relying on God nearly as much as I should in my journey right now. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I am feeling more calm and encouraged. I long for the days that we could tak and share more often! Love you so much! Amber

Amy said...

Thank you for sharing those encouraging thoughts!