Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Our Guatemalan Angel

May, 2006

Dear loved ones,
 
It is with great excitement and supreme peace that
we write to tell you that we have been led by the hand
of God to adopt a baby girl from Guatemala....
 
My mom told me to give it a few minutes for people
to let it sink in!!
 
Greg and I feel called to bring a baby girl into our
home and share with her the love and saving grace of
Jesus Christ, which she may not hear otherwise.  We
are very humbled that He called us to this. 
 
Why adoption and why Guatemala? 
 
Kristin's story:
Well, it all started about two years ago:  we were
at a youth event and there was a 13-year-old teen that
was needing to "vent" about his foster parent, so
another adult leader and I talked with him.  My heart
was pricked so deeply that night.  I was ready to sign
us up to be foster parents the very next day ...
either that or adopt a child.  Compassion overwhelmed
me at the thought of children out in the world with no
family to love them, no one to care for their needs,
or most importantly, no one to share with them the
love of Christ.  It was at that time
I realized God had put a special place in my heart
that only an adopted child could fulfill.  
 
Greg on the other hand, wasn't so sure that's what
God wanted for us ... especially for our first
child.  In fact, he was pretty dead-set against it,
unless we were not able to have children of our own,
of course, but only then would he consider it.  So I
waited patiently, still not sure why the burden was so
heavy on my heart.  Over the next two years, it came
up in conversation every once in awhile, and Greg was
still resistant.  But little did I know how God was
working on his heart ....
 
Fast-forward to this spring, specifically eight
weeks ago:  Greg and I were attending a youth pastor's conference and
we were kindof bummed going into the weekend because
we had planned on bringing six of our adult youth
leaders but everyone dropped out at the last
minute.  I now know why that happend!  Everywhere we
turned that weekend, adoption kept coming up...yes, at
a youth minister's convention!  It had nothing to do
with youth ministry, but everything to do with what
the Lord wanted to tell us that weekend!  
 
There are only three clear "calls" God has placed on
my life; the first was the call to my college; the
second, to marry Greg; and the third, to adopt a
child.  That Saturday at the youth convention during
the morning worship session, I heard the Lord call me
to adopt, and I committed to it right there.  With
tears streaming down my cheeks, I could feel the
Lord's precious tug on Greg's mind and heart as he
stood there next to me with his arms lifted high in
praise.  I knew that the Lord wouldn't take me down a
path that I couldn't walk on.  He was asking me
to trust Him. 
 
The next five weeks, I experienced a spiritual
renewal like I have never had before...in the silence
of nature, in the peace of His Word, in the presence
of His Spirit, my mind was transformed, my heart was
humbled and my Spirit was alive.  It is a time I will
always remember...a sweet time in the desert, seeking
His face.  Not knowing why I felt this call, or even
what was to become of it, but knowing all I needed to
do was trust.  Greg and I would still love to birth
children into the world one day; but its clear that we
must adopt first.
 
 
Greg's story:
Adoption is no stranger to me.  Both of my brothers,
whom I love very deeply are adopted.  However, the
fact that my brothers were adopted was just kind of a
story to me because I was born into their family.  I
knew no different, to me they are blood relatives. 
Something I was always aware of though was the fact
that my parents were absolutely convinced that they
were meant to be the parents of their two adopted
sons.  They knew that God had brought Jeff and Chris
into their family for very special reasons.  This same
conviction now lies within my heart as we begin the
journey to adopt a baby girl from Guatemala. 
 
When Kristin first made mention of her interest in
adopting I was in no uncertain terms against it.  I
can't really tell you why, other than I wanted "my own
baby" and "adoption was for people who couldn't get
pregnant."  Over time God began to gently soften my
heart to the idea of us adopting a child.  He worked
in subtle and not so subtle ways.  He has spoken very
clearly to me over the past 8 weeks.  He has called us
to adopt.  I will obey...because I love Him.  But
there is something else.  Somewhere along the way He
placed in my heart a deep and genuine love for an
international child.  A child of Latin American
descent. 
 
In 2003, we journeyed to the South American country
of Peru.  We were there for two weeks on a short term
mission.  I fell in love with the people and the
culture.  While I was there I encountered many
children.  Some were happy and healthy, but many,
MANY! were not healthy or happy.  I remember the look
of the little boy who was weak with hunger and looked
into my eyes saying "por favor, por favor."  PLEASE!
PLEASE!  Will you help me?  Please will you feed me? 
My heart broke...
 
God has called us to birth a child into the Kingdom
of God.  God has called us to house and feed a child
who might not otherwise have had quite the same
luxury.  We will point this little girl to Jesus.  We
will introduce her to His very real love for her and
teach her how she is an adopted Child of God.
 
 
Our story:
A few weeks ago, we went to a local agency for an info session on international
adoption.  By the end of our four hours there, we had
pretty much decided on their Guatemalan program, which
is what they term their "five star program."  We are
very excited and are well on our way through the high
stack of paperwork.  A little over a year from now, we
should be on our way to Guatemala to pick up our
daughter, who will be between 3-9 months old.  We
can't wait!
 
We covet your prayers during this journey, that the
Lord will bring our child into the world with good
health and a deep desire to love us as her parents. 
Please also pray that the Lord will bring about His
provision financially, as this is a very expensive
process. 
 
We love each of you and are so thankful for your
love and friendship in our lives.  May the Lord bless
and keep you close!
 
Much love and hugs,
Kristin and Greg

No comments: